The Best Atlanta resource to all things food, brew, and foodie news.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Folly Proof


After several months of hiatus, and many meals later, I found myself feeling quite sad about neglecting my Food Findings blog. Fortunately, the dark ages have passed, and I'm now back in action looking for all local and out-of-the-way nooks to strike my delicate (but not so picky) palate.

Thus, it is only fitting to start your day with an 'absurd' serving of the newest hole-in-the-wall to grace the ever congested Howell Mill Rd area. Findings followers - meet Tom's Folly.

Just as the name might speak for itself, this lovely little spot is quite the opposite of charming. While the patio has potential, and the bar is always full of locals, the inside is a hot mess.



In order to accurately explain the terminology "hot mess" please imagine something along the lines of a couple of wobbly high top tables, rickety wooden chairs, solid  colored table covers, and beer signs strewed around as decor pieces. While this "rustic" feel would naturally send me packing (or at least to the bar), I was told by good resources to stick it out for the food. Thank god I did...





Tom's Folly has slammin' bites. The pot stickers are heavenly (pictured above) as they are handmade dumplings filled with sausage and goat cheese that comes with a side of spicy dipping sauce. I could just stop there, but it gets better.

The burger is a blend of Italian sausage and beef and comes with the option of homemade hush puppies. If you opt to get fries over these little amazing nuggets - I'd like to suggest you take a hike to the McDonalds next door. Lastly, I have to mention the Kammie's salad:  bibb lettuce, blue cheese, pistachios, apples with raspberry vinaigrette - Ah-mazing.

While Tom's Folly isn't much on the eyes, the owner sure knows how to get down and dirty in the kitchen. God only knows I don't want to see what goes on back there, but whatever it is, it's awesome.

My suggestion, go for a late Saturday lunch, have a drink, maybe sit on the patio (if it's under 90 degrees), and order up a storm. The food does not disappoint and who knows, Tom's Folly might look better with an awesome set of beer goggles!

No comments:

Post a Comment